Friday, July 9, 2010

Crash!

I had another blood pressure crash yesterday. Shoot!
I had a great day planned too. I wanted to do a repeat of Tuesday, which was the highest number of calories I had burned in one day since I had been here. On Tuesday, I walked to the gym (1.6 miles), had a half hour with Matt, did a half hour more of other stuff he wanted me to do, did an hour swim aerobics class, and walked back home (1.6 miles). Took a break and did a sampler class at the gym in the evening (kickbox cardio, step aerobics and Zumba). My bodybug said that I burned over 4,000 calories, not including the swim which is usually around 400.
By the way, did I mention that the gym is 1.6 miles one way? When I first was here, one day I walked to a Walgreens exactly 1.6 miles away to get a redbox movie. It took me a good 45-50 minutes. I was able to walk to the gym in just about 30 minutes. So, although the scale doesnt show much progress, I was able to shave off about 15 minutes!
So, on Thursday, I woke up and realized that I had forgotten to take my blood pressure med the night before. Since this has happened a couple of other times, I took it with breakfast. It hasnt been a problem before, but I guess I hadnt done the same level of workout those days. So, I walked to the gym. When I got there, I felt a little more worn out than the other day, although with monsoons coming, the humidity has started to rise. So, I was of course sweating pretty good. I felt a bit sick to my stomach, but thought it was breakfast. Started to work out with Matt and couldnt hardly do the stuff! Within two exercises, I thought I was going to pass out. All the blood drained from my head and I felt terrible! I had to stop and get some powerade to try to get my pressure back up. Uuuugh! I hate when that happens. A perfectly good workout gone to waste. Not only that, but when it crashes like that, I am zapped and all I can do is rest. I got it to stableize a bit and decided to do the last half hour of my water class (low impact). My mom had to come pick me up at the gym and take me home. I rested a bit and felt better by evening. I did go to my swim class in the evening and felt pretty good. But, by 9:30 I was good and ready for bed. I DID remember to take my med last night, so I was back on track today.
The good news to report is that before I crashed, I was able to do 25 jumping jacks! I havent been able to do them for a long time. I have a lot of weight to just force into the air! But, I did them because Matt made me. He keeps pushing me and making me do things I think I cant! Who does he think he is anyway! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joy!
    Wow! What a journey! It is good that you are in tune with your body enough to know what to do. Way to work through the problem and not totally give up. You have a great trainer and He has your best interest in mind. What a blessing:)
    Hang in there. You are getting stronger every day - in more ways than one!
    Still praying for you,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,
    From Norman Vincent Peale - a Protestant Preacher:

    Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop that picture...Do not build up obstacles in your imagination.

    Even though you 'crashed' you were still able to do things you were unable to do in the past. You did not get the workout you hoped, but you did workout some. You are succeeding every day in some way & that is a great thing !!

    Your attitude is positive and that is critical to your success.

    Stay strong and keep believing !!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Joy-
    We just got back from the beach yesterday- hadn't checked in for a while.
    So- HOW are YOU doing???
    We're rooting for you- I want to know your stats.
    Keep pressing forward- don't see the "setbacks" as long breaks- take them in stride, and keep your eyes focused on the goal...that "little black dress." :) :) :)

    Miss seeing you around-
    Love ya, friend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete