Monday, July 19, 2010

Road Trip!

Amazing! If you have never been to the Grand Canyon, it is breathtaking. I have now been twice and both times, it made me cry to think that MY God made this! I am a little teary now thinking about it.
My brother Dale, who has lived in Arizona for 21 years now, had never been. So...road trip! We decided to go up on Friday early so we could be there in the afternoon. It was kind of spur of the moment and very fun.
I am proud to say that I maintained my new lifestyle by doing the following:
1. I got up at 4:45 so that I could get in my workout BEFORE we left at 8:15.
2. I packed all my own food in a cooler and put it in the back seat. In my family, the word road trip is synonymous with snacks - wheat thins, twizlers, chips... It was a bit strange to just sit in the car and not be munching. The closest I came to cheating was a walk down desire lane as we discussed the merits of every candy bar known to man.
3. Didn't just get out, look at the canyon and jump back in the car to drive to another spot, but walked the trail along the rim to other lookout spots.
4. Stayed with some friends of Dales in Prescott, AZ, went to Chili's for dinner (only the second time I have eaten out in 6 weeks) and special ordered my dinner so that it was within my eating limits. Didn't eat any of the bottomless chips and salsa.
Overall, it was a great time together and another step in the right direction for me in terms of old habits. I am sure there will be other things that come up in time that I will have to conquer, but each time I do, I feel like I am that much closer to the life I want to live.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Joy!
    You are making the changes where it affects real life and how you'll live at home. You are an inspiration! Great job!
    Can't wait til you return,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete