Monday, June 14, 2010

Leaping Walls




Weigh-In Day. It has taken all day to wrestle through the results of the official weigh-in. I did lose weight, but not anywhere near what I was hoping. For about an hour after, I railed! and ranted! and whined! and questioned! As I thought through the week, I had to concede several points: 1) I did not cheat on the food. Not even once! 2) I exercised like a fiend on Monday through Friday (if you follow, you know that I was trying to stabalize a very low blood pressure on Sat. and Sun.). 3) I learned several things that will be good tools for me in the future as I continue this journey at home.
My friend Luisa has been sending me a daily devotional connected to weight loss. The one I opened tonight was especially appropriate.
Today’s focus scripture is taken from 2 Samuel 22:30:
"For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall."
I have a confession to make; when I was a little girl I wanted to be Wonder Woman. I used to watch the T.V. series every Sunday evening, eager to see Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman defeat the bad guys. My favorite part was always when she would transform from humble Diana Prince to Wonder Woman by removing her glasses and spinning around. A loud noise, fire, and smoke and boom -- her transformation was instant. Wouldnt it be cool if losing weight was like that? All you would have to do is spin around, God would zap you, and all of the weight would disappear. But it doesn’t happen that way. Instead God gives you the endurance to run against troops and leap over walls. That’s what King David discovered.
David wrote today’s scripture after God delivered him from King Saul, who had been trying to kill him for years. Even though David had defeated Goliath and God had anointed him King over Israel, he still had to fight battles before he could claim what was his.
A strong, healthy body is yours. But you will have to fight for it. Scripture tells us that we do not fight against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers (Ephesians 6:12).
God has strengthened you with the endurance to run against troops, like your habits of the past.The way you can run with endurance is by giving yourself a vision of what you are running toward, keeping a clear picture of your future healthy self in your mind’s eye at all times.
I do wish God could just zap me thin and healthy, but part of me being here is to learn the discipline to fight this battle for years to come. As I look at the past week, no I didnt have the loss I wanted and expected, but I know that God has given me a profitable week and has shown me the way to continue to run with endurance. Pray that I will remember that God goes before me and flattens the walls so I can continue to leap over them.
PS. I DID beat my brother at the weigh-in!

1 comment:

  1. Keep your chin up Joy! You have gained good perspective on things and are getting to know how the enemy works to defeat us. Thanks for being real and yet letting us be part of the plan of victory. Hope you have a better week and are feeling the difference soon.
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete