Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hometown Sendoff


Monday was a day to remember those who have given their lives in pursuit of freedom for me and you. I am proud to be an American. Only Jesus has sacrificed more for me and I don't ever want to take either lightly.



As we gathered to celebrate the holiday, it was also a day to say goodbye to the old me and bury her forever. Sounds a little morose, I know, but I think it best describes the way I was feeling.


My wonderful, bosom friends surprised me with a sendoff that took me by surpise. When we arrived at the house, all of them and their families were gathered on the front porch holding signs and cheering me on. Wow. I was completely overwhelmed and wasn't sure even how to respond. If I had my wits I would have replied in Daris' (from the Biggest Loser) famous words, "I will do my best to make you proud and to make myself proud too."


The amazing part is that my dear, sweet friends love me. They want me to succeed, not because they would like me more, but because I will like me more. They want the best for me, and are cheering me on and praying for me. I know they will be my Aaron and Hur holding my arms up when I cant hold my own (Exodus 17:8-13).


Thank you dear friends! I love you all so much.


And when I come back, "I believe we will have somthing to celebrate!"

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Joy-
    You are OFF AND RUNNING- I'm so proud of you- and want you to know that the Santmier Family is praying you forward.
    I LOVE the "old Joy"- but I look forward to seeing the "new Joy"- we are "working out" right along with you...so "press on towards the goal"- and keep your eyes fixed on HIM!
    Much love to you, sis!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So- HOW ARE YOU?????
    Praying for you- remember the train...
    "I think I can, I think I can,..."
    Love to you,
    karen

    ReplyDelete