Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blood Pressure, Bikes, Boxing and Buffalo



Well, had another lost day yesterday...Worked out in the morning and came home exhausted, could hardly keep my eyes open driving home at 9:30 in the morning! Took a 45 minute rest and thought I should check my blood pressure before heading off to the gym to an intense workout with the trainer. I was quite surprised to find that my blood pressure had dropped again (95/56 for you medical folks). Called my doctor and she sent me to urgent care. The doctor there said I should reduce my dosage of meds, which is what I suspected. He also gave me some tips in terms of workouts in the desert. I did learn something quite interesting. One of the meds I take regulates my heartbeat so I dont have palpitations. He said that it keeps my heart rate very low. NO WONDER I CANT GET MY HEART RATE UP TO BE IN THE FAT BURNING ZONE! Although I have continued the disciplines of working out and eating, I dont seem to be seeing any changes to my body. Maybe some tweeks in this area will help. I'll see what my doctor says...

On another note, I got a new bike today! My mom and I went in on it together so that she can have it when I leave. I will have to take a pic tomorrow and see if I can post it. Its a cruiser type bike and quite retro looking. It is a 10 speed so it should serve its purpose just fine. When Dale and I were walking on the river walk today, people were zooming past us and every time I felt envious of their speed. Walking is fine, but a bike! Now thats just one step away from a Harley, right? So tonight I will get it all ready to go and give it a test run tomorrow. Its been years since I have been on a bike. I hope the saying is true, "its just like riding a bike".

Kickboxing class tonight was awesome! Not only can I jab and cross, uppercut and hook, but now I can do a roundhouse kick! I didnt realize that I grunt every time I punch or kick until the music ended in the middle of a round tonight. Ooops. All eyes on the noisy fat chick in the corner.

Had my first eating out experience tonight (other than getting a sub at subway). My brother is one of the football coaches at a local high school and they were doing a fundraiser tonight at Buffalo Wild Wings. Hmmm you might say to yourself, "what is she doing there?" I must assure you that I went in well prepared. I went online this afternoon and looked on the website at the menu and narrowed down my choices to two items. When I went in, I asked for a menu with the nutritional info. I pretty much got a funny look. The waiter however, seemed to understand my needs and was able to help me narrow down my choices. Even with eating out tonight, I ended the day just under my calorie allottment for the day. Dont want to make eating out a habit, but WOO HOO! And I had a great time getting to see Dale in action with the kids.

By the way, after doing my last blog, I went and read more of the surrounding verses to the devotional that I referenced. If you have an opportunity, read 2 Samuel 22, particulary verses 26-51. What an amazing encouragement for anyone facing any kind of challenges! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Joy!!!!!
    You are sure having an exciting time and I am so glad for you. Bike riding used to be my favorite thing,too. You'll be the one speeding by the walkers soon! Keep up the great attitude!
    Miss your smiling face:)
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete