Friday, August 20, 2010

Challenge

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. This blog entry is really intended for me. A place to look back and remind myself of what I need to do. You can do it, Joy! Don't be swayed!
I got a Facebook "event notice" yesterday about a 10K/5K race in November. At first I thought, "Why is she sending this to me? I'm not ready for this. I am not a runner." The more I thought about it though, it became kind of a challenge to me. I could do this. Could I do this?
It stayed in my mind all day. When I was done working out with weights at the gym, I headed outside to do some walking and running. As I started down the road, I could not get that event out of my mind. I decided I was gonna see what I had in me. I asked God to help me find a pace that would allow me endurance so that I could see how far I could go. Then I started to run. And I ran. And I ran. Now, when I say how far I went, some people might wonder what the big deal is. Before then, I had pushed myself to run for a three minute stretch before I had to walk. This time, I just let go (and let God :) ). I ran .4, walked for about 30 seconds and ran another .35. 3/4 of a mile! Now, I am not quite at a 6 minute mile. In fact, I am not even at a 15 minute mile. But I was so proud of myself. It was an amazing start.
So, I plan to at least do the 5K and if I get gutsy enough I might run the 10K. November is a few months away and I feel confident that even if I have to walk some, I could do it.
So Joy, when you read this in a month or so, don't waiver. Push through. Run the race and finish strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment